Friday, May 16, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Entry 11)

Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors, has graciously allowed us access to her diary documenting the journey of Flopsy, also known as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home. The diary will be broken up into short sections and posted. Check back for new entries in the series entitled "From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog". (Previous Journal Entries: Entry One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten)

8/19/07
Today I sat Rusty on the couch with me. She was on my lap and sat there stiffly at first, for about 10 minutes. Later, she relaxed and laid down with her head on my legs. I did not keep hold of her in case she wanted to get away, but she didn’t! She stayed on my lap for more than 30 minutes.

Then I took her off my lap and let her lay next to me. She stayed there! I think Rusty might become a couch potato!


8/30/07
Mom and Dad were here for a visit. Rusty was very nervous and just hid in her spot behind the table. She would pace the yard and it broke Mom’s heart to watch Rusty. She has never seen such a damaged soul before now. It’s funny how I have gotten used to her behaviors and don’t really think about the things she noticed. I was telling mom that I really think Rusty needs a fenced yard and she completely agrees, especially after meeting Rusty. She couldn’t imagine such a fearful fur kid having to live on the end of a leash and she could see how Rusty might bolt.

Rusty did really well with mom and dad’s dog, Baron. She didn’t play with him, but accepted him as a part of the pack.

All in all, I think Rusty did terrific with company. She didn’t let them pet her, but she did eventually “sneak” into the living room when we let everyone in and she thought no one was looking.


9/1/07
Rusty came up to me for a treat! Tonight at bedtime, we all made our way to the bedroom and treat time. Instead of running past me and jumping into her crate, Rusty stayed over with Starry and Holly. I extended my arm and she hesitantly came over, got the treat and then backed away. She did this 3 times and then I think it dawned on her what she was doing and she stayed away from me. I don’t care, because Rusty actually came up to me for a treat! It’s taken nearly 5 months for this to happen, but it happened!!!


9/2/07
This morning, I let all of the dogs come into the living room area with me. Rusty and Holly began playing with one another for about 15 minutes. Rusty was rolling over for Holly, play bowing, wagging her tail, just plain happiness on her face. She would steal a glance over in my direction to make sure I wasn’t watching, but foster mom is sneaky! In her happiness, Rusty grabbed one of the toys on the floor and figured out how to make it squeak. She liked it and squeaked the toy several more times. She then grabbed one of the bungee dogs and shook it and tossed it in the air. She is so adorable when she is playing! She has only played with a toy a handful of times in the 5 months she’s been here, but she’s doing it!

To Be Continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!