Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dina Update!

Written by Dina's Foster Mom

To read previous posts on Dina click HERE.

Dina aka Deeny is making steps in the right direction. I pronounce her name like that of Dina Merrill (Deena) who was a classy and lovely blonde actress many years ago.

It was no surprise that Dina was very wary of people's touches after living in a mill for 9 years and being severely burned. She skitters around the humans in the house and outside in the dog run. She is quite a treat-a-holic though so she would stretch her neck as far as she could to accept a treat. Late this fall she began to put her feet up on my legs to facilitate the treat being handed over. :) Foster Dad and I were both thrilled. Foster Dad saves small pieces of apple, orange, sweet potato and sits on the floor in the living room to hand them out. Dina practically crawls into his lap to make sure she doesn't get forgotten. :) Recently she's started to let Foster Dad gently take a paw and say "shake hands" to get her treat. That is a huge step for her. She's also started to come to me at various times during the day and put her feet on my knees when I'm working at the computer. She knows there are treats handed out during the day so she believes she deserves her fair share. She's just started to let me take a paw with one hand while the other offers her a treat. I am thrilled for this classy looking, but oh so fearful girl, who is getting less fearful little by little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!