Saturday, April 11, 2009

Special Delivery by the Easter Bunny!

Written by CP's VP of Intakes

Don't think there are puppy mills near you? Think again! I was just at one ... 15 miles from MY home!

I received word last weekend of a young, female Cairn that needed help. The story went something like this ... her owner had died, the family couldn't keep her and she had been given to a dog "broker" to re-home because he had a lot of contacts. On top of it all, the "broker" was located in the same town where I live!

This morning I drove out to pick-up this little girl and get her to safety and freedom. I turn off the main highway and head down a country road. The farther I drive down the country road, the farther apart the homes get, the farther back from the road they are set and the more rundown and shabby they become. After about 3 miles I see the address I'm looking for. A wire fence surrounds the front of the property with a gate across the driveway. The gate is partially open and has a sign on it that says "If you're not expected, DON'T ENTER!" I drive in and head up the driveway until I get to the buildings. I get out of my car and a man with a scruffy beard and dirty coveralls greets me by setting down a VERY pregnant DOXIE who comes running over to me. He has to jump on his 4-wheeler mule to retrieve the Cairn. I stay with the pregnant Doxie, all the while taking in what I can see - a small shed approximately 8' x 6' that must be the whelping shed, many small wire enclosures scattered around the main shed, house and the whelping shed with no dogs in any of them, and a little Cockapoo that is desperately trying to get back into the 8 x 6 shed. He then comes driving up with the Cairn. Once again he gives me the story of how she was a house pet, is UTD (Up To Date) on her shots and how happy the family will be that she has found a good home (NO, he doesn't know I'm rescue). I thank him profusely, all the while just wanting to get her settled in her crate and get the heck out of there!

I had a couple of hours before my appointment with my vet, so I take our new little girl home. I put all my furkids outside and bring her in the house for a look see, bath, grooming and nail trim. The first thing I notice is she has definitely had puppies from the length and size of her nipples. Then I see the claw hooks she has for nails and my suspicions are confirmed - she was a puppy mill breeder dog.

Those days are all over for her now! She has moved to the "other side of town" and there are no PMs over here! This little girl is absolutely precious! You can tell she did spend some time in a home and was treated with some kindness. When we arrived at my vet's office, she was dancing on her hind legs trying to entice anyone that walked in the door to pet her and all the dogs to play with her. She was very content at my house for me to hold her and for her to lay next to me.

Please help me welcome our Easter Special Delivery - Nani (na - nee) which is Hawaiian for beautiful and precious. Both of which she most definitely is!

1 comment:

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!