Tuesday, August 18, 2009

SAD NEWS ABOUT SKYE

Written by Skye's Mom



There is sad news about Skye. Someone who does yard work for a family on the road behind our road found Skye's body in the low, wild, forested area of the property by Holden Dr, just two fields away from home. She had been there for at least a couple of weeks but we know it is her because she still had on her harness and identification tag. Her body was intact, so we are certain she was not killed by a predator.

This is an area we have walked many, many times with our dogs and Skye would most likely have recognized it. She may have been confused or just too tired to come the rest of the way home, or perhaps she felt she was already home and laid down to rest.

We have been unable to stop crying since we found her. Somehow, I really thought this would have a happy ending, that Skye would finally come home and it just makes me incredibly sad that she got so close to home but not near enough for us to see her again. Robert is beside himself. She loved him so much, he was her favorite person, and she always gave him her best kisses and wags. He loved getting up in the morning to her happy face and taking her outside for a long walk. A long walk with Skye and Toby was the last thing he did at night.

He just can't believe we will never see her again and I feel the same way. With every other pet we have had, we have been with them till the end and held them in our arms as they left us. Skye was alone and I don't think I will ever forgive myself for that--and yes, I know that isn't logical, but right now it is how I feel. She clearly wanted to come home, and spent weeks trying to find us--and she was so close to making it home.

Skye will be buried on our property. All of our animals are buried here, and there are dogwoods marking each dog’s resting place and katsura trees or pussy willows for the cats.

6 comments:

  1. oh no thats so sad im very sorry ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss, my heart aches for both. It sounds like you gave her a wonderful loving home and terrific life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for you loss. I am looking for my dog as well. He has been missing since 08/12 when the meter reader left my gate open. I have had very sleepless nights, and have looked everyday. My heart is breaking. He is my "hairy" son. I miss him so very, very much. A day has not gone by that I don't cry. I am doing everything possible, but still no sign. It just hurts.

    Again I am so very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart breaks for you both. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just know that my heart is with you. It cannot lessen the pain but know there are those out there that would like to help carry it!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really thought this would have a happy ending and I am so sad for your family that it wasn't to be.

    I do hope that in some small way knowing that you have a community of cairn lovers surrounding you will lift you up.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!