Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Skye Memorial at Oz - The Beginning

Skye spent the beginning of her life in a puppymill. Her first encounter with love and tenderness came at the Oz Project in Michigan where a loving woman and her husband have devoted many hours to showing these cairns the better side of people The Oz Project is the first stop in the transition from puppymill to beloved companion animal.


This is a tribute to Skye written by her.

I prayed this day would never come. Somewhere in my heart I knew that it would. I even found my self praying for exclusions. Dear Lord don't let it be Chastity/Skye, Lassiter, or Magpie. I knew that these kids would need special forever homes like Chastity was fortunate enough to find. Yes, Chastity's life was painfully short but I know in my heart that it was longer than it would have been any place else on earth. Some of these kids rush headlong into trouble. It's their nature. Never the less I prayed that all of the Oz Kids would die of old age.






I knew as each left Oz that they would always remain. I loved them first and I love them still.There will be a memorial built at Oz in Chastity's memory. There her memory will be re-visited by others that visit Oz. I will walk them out to visit Chastity/Skye. I will tell her story knowing that they will listen but not learn. Cairns are like that. There is a little knoll beside the cabin. There we will gather rocks from all over Oz.We will build a rock cairn for her. On top will be a solar lamp that flickers like a candle.

I will plant wildflowers among the wild ferns and weeds. It will not be a carefully manicured garden. It will be wild and free like Chastity. On one rock will be her name. I pray that for many years there will only be one rock bearing a name. This is your memorial garden too, for she belonged to all of us.

1 comment:

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!